View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maddness

Maddness
MOTM
MOTM

Title : Madman

Avoiding a "Mary Sue" Empty
PostSubject: Avoiding a "Mary Sue"   Avoiding a "Mary Sue" EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 10:06 am

Hello All,

This topic is aimed at our newer writers, and hopes to prevent any problems occurring on site with certain characters which are colloquially called "Mary Sue's". I think Wikipedia describes them best:

Quote :
A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader. It is generally accepted as a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional. While the label "Mary Sue" itself originates from a parody of this type of character, most characters labelled "Mary Sues" by readers are not intended by authors as such. Male Mary Sues are often dubbed "Gary Stu", "Larry Stu", "Marty Stu", or similar names.

In short, I hope to prevent people coming up with one - dimensional characters and ruining the fun for everyone. Remember, a character that can't do something is more fun that one who can do everything.

To see if a prospective character is a Mary Sue I advise you to take the test found here http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm.

Post your scores if you want to, It would be fun to see what people get.

In any case, don't feel restricted if your character does have a few 'Sue' Traits, we just want to avoid the perfect paragons of awful gaming that crop up here and there.

Laters all.
Back to top Go down
http://colonyworld.vacau.com/index.php/main/index

Avoiding a "Mary Sue"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Anubis Scripts :: Begin the Fantasy :: The Arena :: Character Creation-
Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com