Share | 

Said isn't Dead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
acidrica

acidrica

Said isn't Dead Empty
PostSubject: Said isn't Dead   Said isn't Dead EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 am

"Said? What a boring word!" Sally exclaimed, crossing her arms. "I mean, seriously, who uses said anymore?"

"Actually," Joe interjected, "Said is one of words that's almost impossible to overuse."

"Impossible to overuse? You've got to be kidding me," she disagreed. "Everyone uses it!"

"Exactly," he asserted. "When people see the word 'said', their eyes pass right over it. It's one of those 'invisible words' of the English language. Most of the time they don't even notice the word. However, whenever you use a substitute word, like 'insisted' or 'mentioned', it pulls the reader out of the story."

"But what do you do if you are overusing 'said'?" she wailed. "You can't just go 'he said, she said, they said' over and over!"

"Well," he reasoned. "You could always try cutting the word out altogether, using it only when necessary to indicate who is speaking."

"Like this?"

"Now you've got it."

////////////////////////

Now, I admit, I'm horribly guilty of using words to substitute 'said', and for adding descriptors to the term (like, 'said quietly' or 'said viciously'), but I've noticed that most editors for professional writers absolutely -hate- when people write like that. When I started editing other people's work, I noticed it more, and it really does make a difference. Now, I'm not saying that you should never use what is called a 'said bookism', but I'd suggest to do so sparingly, or else you end up with something like the above.

This isn't because of anything I've read on here, mind you. It's just a trend I've been noticing, and it's been on my mind lately.

-rushes back to her newbie corner-
Back to top Go down
TruthSayer

TruthSayer
Administrator
Administrator

Title : Chief Creatologist

Said isn't Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Said isn't Dead   Said isn't Dead EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Beautiful tip! And wonderfully funny to read.

Thanks for the useful hint, Tam Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://anubisscripts.rpg-board.net
Maddness

Maddness
MOTM
MOTM

Title : Madman

Said isn't Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Said isn't Dead   Said isn't Dead EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Not meaning to correct our illustrious leader, but this was a tip from acid, not Tam (Unless tam is in disguise).

Last edited by Maddness on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://colonyworld.vacau.com/index.php/main/index
TruthSayer

TruthSayer
Administrator
Administrator

Title : Chief Creatologist

Said isn't Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Said isn't Dead   Said isn't Dead EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Oh my good Lord... I am way too tired, lol.

Good tip, Acid Razz
Back to top Go down
https://anubisscripts.rpg-board.net
Tammika

Tammika
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Title : Wannabe Steampunk Queen

Said isn't Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Said isn't Dead   Said isn't Dead EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:01 pm

lol...

*runs off to check her "said" usage*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Said isn't Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Said isn't Dead   Said isn't Dead Empty

Back to top Go down

Said isn't Dead

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Anubis Scripts :: Begin the Fantasy :: The Arena :: Hints & Tips-